About the Detroit Historical Society:The mission of the Detroit Historical Society is to tell Detroit’s unique stories and why they matter. The Society oversees the Detroit Historical Museum, Dossin Great Lakes Museum and the City of Detroit’s collection of over 250,000 artifacts related to the city’s history.
Overview of Position:The Society’s internship program involves an intensive, part-time, experience over eight weeks that enables upper class students to assist with major special projects in one or more museum departments. Interns are treated as museum professionals and included in the regular ongoing activities of the institution. The EPO (Education-Programs-Outreach) Intern will assist each department with a variety of logistics for programs and events, staff events, assist with marketing and communications, and assist with program evaluation.
Regular semester internships are unpaid. The Society’s internship work hour and reporting requirements will conform to the student’s university course standards. However, interns can expect to spend approximately 120 hours working during the semester in which he or she is enrolled in the internship course (roughly 15 hours per week for 8 weeks).
- Assist Education staff with school and group tours, contribute to tour development, and assist with Cultural Passport program
- Assist Public Programs with on-site and off-site support during public programs (when available), logistics planning, and program evaluation
- Assist Community Outreach with program execution, logistics and program evaluation
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications departments to create social media content regarding EPO work
- Strategize with EPO staff for future programming, reaching new audiences and strengthening community partner relationships
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Enrolled in an academic program in journalism, marketing/communications, history, museum studies, public history, public administration, or a related field
- Strong writing and oral communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Strong people skills - comfort with interacting with people of all ages and from all backgrounds
- Ability to act independently and be a self-starter while operating collaboratively and as a team player
- Ability to perform multiple tasks
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
- Experience and/or training evaluation and/or data management is preferred
- Experience and/or training in program development is preferred
This opportunity starts on Sept. 8, 2019, 11 p.m. and ends Oct. 30, 2019, 11 p.m. CDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone if yours is different.
5401 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan, 48202, USA