Join and support Freedom for Immigrants (formerly known as CIVIC) in our fight to end the isolation, abuse, and detention of immigrants in the United States. Freedom for Immigrants is a network of over 40 visitation programs across the country; we also run a national hotline and pen-pal program.
Our current volunteer opportunities:
1. Visit - Community visitation programs ensure that people in immigration detention can maintain family and community ties and provide civilian oversight to a system that has little public accountability.
2. Answer Hotline Calls - Our national hotline is a safe, confidential, and free service offered to people in immigration detention. It connects immigrants in detention to their family, resources, and abuse documentation support. We receive over 7,000 calls per month.
3. Pen-Pal - Our pen-pal program is designed to connect volunteers with people in immigration detention who do not yet have visitors, to give them hope and a connection to the outside world. While we have an affiliated visitation program in over 40 of the largest immigration detention facilities, there are still approximately 150 facilities without a visitation program.
4. Host - Serve as host for a few days, weeks, or months to people eligible for release.
5. Help Us Grow - We also seek volunteers to help with fundraising and friendraising for our network.
Any and all support is greatly appreciated and can make a big impact. Please get in touch to take the next step or learn more.
This is a flexible activity that can be completed whenever you have enough free time.
This is a remote action that can be done anywhere as long as you have the necessary time, skills, instructions and resources.