HEAF is seeking dedicated individuals to serve as academic coaches to providing tutoring and support and/or to serve as Teacher’s Assistants for our High Expectations (Middle School) students, grades 6-8.
About HEAF:The Harlem Educational Activities Fund, Inc. (HEAF) is a comprehensive not-for-profit supplemental education and youth development organization that supports and assists dedicated students to develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values and personal resiliency they need to ensure success in school, career and life. HEAF identifies scholars in middle school and supports them until they are successfully admitted to four-year colleges through a variety of after-school, Saturday and summer programs.
Purpose:Academic Tutors ensure that are students have the academic and study skills needed to succeed in middle, high school, and college. As a college bound program, HEAF’s goal is for 100% of our scholars to graduate from both high school and a four year college. To ensure all HEAF scholars realize this goal, HEAF mandates tutoring and Academic Success Programs for scholars who fall below HEAF’S minimum academic standards of 80% and above in all core class. Tutors provide assistance to students in the four core subject areas: Math, English/ELA, Science, and Social Studies and are matched with students based on the coach’s skills in specific subject areas and the student’s needs.
- Assess and assist students with homework and test preparation in at least one of the core subjects: Math, English Language Arts (ELA), Science, and Social Studies - see below for more details about concepts covered in each subject area
- Evaluate and record student progress after each session
- Attend and participate in scheduled tutor orientation & training meetings
- Communicate academic progress to program staff
- Create a rich learning environment that aids in instructing students with various learning styles
- Complete and submit required documentation, including hours log
- Bachelor’s degree preferred - some college required. (Masters students in Education encouraged to apply)
- Advanced skills in Mathematics, English Language Arts, Science, and/or Social Studies
- Experience tutoring middle school students
- Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to promote HEAF educational and youth development philosophy.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Time Commitment: Academic Tutors are asked to makea minimum of a one hour/week commitmentfor a minimum of one semester. HEAF’s High Expectations tutoring program operates on Saturdays from 2:30-3:30pm .
Support: Orientation will be provided for all tutors at the beginning of the Fall term. Additionally, tutors are given access to a folder of resources that can be used during their sessions. Optional training sessions are offered for our program team throughout the Fall term.
- Build one-on-one relationships with students, while instilling confidence in themselves and their academic abilities
- Work as part of a collaborative and innovative team
- Receive ongoing training opportunities
- Ensure our students have the skills necessary to successfully accomplish their academic goals
This position is an unpaid, volunteer position that reports to the Program Coordinator for High Expectations, and is also supported by the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator.
This opportunity started on Sept. 29, 2018, 2:30 p.m. and ended on May 31, 2019, 4 p.m. EDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone if yours is different.
2090 Adam Clayton Powell Jr., Blvd, 10th Floor, New York, New York, 10027, USA
My Action Status
This action has ended, but you can still contact the event organizer to see if there are other ways to help. If you completed it, click the 'completed' button below to get credit and track your impact.
For every action you complete, we plant one tree 🌳
Send us a photo of you completing it to email@example.com or tag @brightest, we'll make it two 🌳🌳