Summary of Position
Longfellow House-Washington’s Headquarters NHS preserves the home of Henry W. Longfellow, one of the world’s foremost 19 th century poets. Additionally, the house served as General George Washington’s first headquarters of the American Revolution, from 1775-1776.
This position is a great way to get experience working with visitors at a National Park. The volunteer will assist with the daily operation of the site and engage with people from all over the world. Training for various duties will be provided. Ideal candidates work well under pressure, in busy environments and can provide a warm welcome to each visitor. Must be able to work unsupervised.Duties
- Staffs NPS visitor center with minimal supervision, orienting visitors to the site’s offerings.
- Accurately uses daily log to keep track of site visitation and statistics.
- Answers the phone in a professional manner.
- Operates cash register accurately to make sales.
- Engages in self-directed study to increase content knowledge about the site operations, history, and programs offered throughout the season.
- Observes all rules, procedures and safety guidelines. Tracks volunteer hours accurately.
- Additional opportunities: staffing Family Sunday events, setting up for summer concerts and poetry readings, roving the grounds/garden and informally talking to visitors about site’s history.
- Wears the NPS volunteer uniform in clean and professional manner.
- Looking for a detail oriented person, who can multitask efficiently, including answering phones, operating cash register and signing people up for tours without supervision.
- Comfortable with speaking informally with visitors of all ages, backgrounds, and nationalities. Previous experience working at a museum or similar institution a plus.
- Must be available for a shift during open hours (Wed. -Sundays, 10 am-5 pm, May-October)
This is an unpaid, temporary position.
This opportunity started on May 22, 2019, 9:30 a.m. and ended on Oct. 27, 2019, 5 p.m. EDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone.
105 Brattle Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 02138, USA
My Action Status
This action has ended, but you can still contact the event organizer to see if there are other ways to help. If you completed it, click the 'completed' button below to get credit and track your impact.
For every action you complete, we plant one tree 🌳
Send us a photo of you completing it to email@example.com or tag @brightest, we'll make it two 🌳🌳