Masa partners with Mexican and Latino immigrant children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community.
About Unidos en Ollin:
Unidos en Ollin (Unidos en Movimiento) is a free six-week bilingual (Spanish and English) summer program for youth of color between 14 to 18 years old. The purpose of the program is to support youth in building a positive and strong sense of self, including learning self-love and coping strategies; developing a critical lens about issues that affect black and brown youth; sharpening leadership skills and engaging in researching and solving a community issue.
About the Volunteer Role:
A volunteer with the Unidos En Ollin program will support the implementation of the program from setup and breakdown to classroom support. Volunteers are expected to engage in teambuilding activities; support the implementation of lesson plans focused on assisting youth in developing their community service and art projects; and, if possible, be available to chaperone weekly recreational and service trips.
The ideal summer program volunteer is a dynamic, bilingual (Spanish/English) person who is eager to learn more about and support positive youth development, especially with high school youth of color, and has a strengths-based approach.
The volunteer’s responsibilities will include:
- Attending a volunteer training and providing regular feedback
- Greeting students upon arrival and directing them to assigned meeting area during sessions
- Taking attendance and notes during sessions
- Providing classroom support during sessions including reviewing lesson plans well in advance
- Promoting a healthy environment for students during sessions
- Helping chaperone and lead group activities during field trips and art workshops
- Support with miscellaneous administrative tasks, as needed
Your time can make an immense difference in students’ lives.
- Proficiency in Spanish is required
- Have a passion for working with youth of color
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable in a youth group setting
- Comfortable engaging in discussions around issues of social justice (including immigration and poverty), racial justice, and economic justice
- Strong knowledge of and passion about social justice issues preferred
- Honor all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to client confidentiality and boundaries
Masa’s Tlanezcalli Community Center, 2770 Third Avenue, First floor, Bronx, NY 10455
(Easily accessible from the 2 and 5 trains)
Volunteer must be willing to come to Masa the following times:
On Thursdays: 10AM - 4PM* (Trip days, *estimate only, times may change)
And/or on Fridays: 10AM - 4PM (Workshop days at the center)
This opportunity started on July 19, 2019, 9 a.m. and ended on Aug. 16, 2019, 3 p.m. CDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone if yours is different.
Masa Tlanezcalli Center, 2770 Third Avenue, Bronx, New York, 10455, USA