Masa partners with Mexican and Latino immigrant children, youth, and families in the South Bronx to develop strong learners and leaders who fully contribute to the broader community.
About the Las Adelitas program:
Masa’s Las Adelitas program is a young women’s space for folks ages 14-21 who identify as women of color, indigenous, immigrant and/or latinx. It is a free, bilingual (Spanish-English) program in which we explore topics such as: self-love and self-care; techniques to manage stress; women’s narratives, struggles and ancestral resistance; leadership development and community action; and building community in an intentional, safe and supportive space.
A volunteer with the Las Adelitas program supports the implementation of the program, from setup and breakdown to classroom support. The ideal volunteer is a dynamic, bilingual (Spanish/English) person who is eager to learn more about and support positive young women’s development, particularly with high school youth of color.
Masa’s Tlanezcalli Community Center, 2770 Third Avenue, First floor, Bronx, NY 10455
(Easily accessible from the 2 and 5 trains)
The volunteer’s responsibilities include supporting Las Adelitas prior to, during and following program implementation, including tasks such as:
- Helping set up and break down meeting area (chairs, tables, equipment, snacks, beverages, etc.)
- Greeting students upon arrival to program and directing them to meeting area
- Taking attendance and notes during sessions
- Providing classroom support during workshop sessions
- Promoting a healthy environment for students during sessions
- Assisting with supervision during field trips
Your time can make an immense difference in students’ lives!
Volunteer must be willing to come to Masa the following times:
2 Tuesdays per month: 4pm - 8PM or
2 Wednesdays per month: 4pm-8pm (our sessions fall a twice a month, two days a week)
- Have a passion for working with youth of color
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable in youth group settings
- Comfortable engaging in discussions around issues of social justice, racial justice, and gender equity
- Honor all Masa policies and procedures, including with respect to client confidentiality and boundaries
- Proficiency in Spanish
An interview, complete volunteer application, and reference check is required for this role. An interview does not guarantee program placement.
How to apply:
Complete the interest form at www.masany.org/VolApp. Indicate interest in "Las Adelitas" in the final comment box.
This opportunity starts on June 11, 2019, 4 p.m. and ends Dec. 19, 2019, 8 p.m. EDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone if yours is different.
Masa Tlanezcalli Center, 2770 Third Avenue, Bronx, New York, 10455, USA