Project Angel Food prepares and delivers healthy meals to feed people impacted by serious illness, bringing comfort and hope every day. Every week Project Angel Food cooks, prepares, and delivers 15,000 meals for 1,600 clients living with critical illnesses. Over 62 percent of those clients are 60 and older and have compromised immune systems, putting them at high risk for coronavirus (COVID-19).
Project Angel Food has indicated they urgently need volunteers and donations to support their ongoing work and programs, including meal prep and putting together meal packages. Current volunteer shifts are 8:00AM – 12:30PM and 1:30PM – 5:30PM Monday through Friday, and Saturday and Sunday daytime weekend shifts are also available.
As an organization that's been serving the seriously ill for 30 years, Project Angel Food is hypervigilant about ensuring that its kitchen is a safe work environment for volunteers and clients. However, they are also ramping up their already stringent food safety measures and taking extra care to frequently disinfect work spaces outside of the kitchen.
That includes the following guidelines:
– sick with fever – don’t come in
– runny nose/cough, even from allergies – don’t come in
– 65 or older, pregnant, chronic illness/underlying health conditions – don’t come in- you care for people who are high risk
– you have been in contact with someone who may have contracted the virus – don’t come in
– traveled and not quarantined for 2 weeks – don’t come in
– fever/symptoms of fever have not been gone for at least 24 hours without help of medication – don’t come in
Additionally, Project Angel Food is implementing:
– distancing in all areas of the building (at least 3 feet/arm’s length), including the kitchen
– temperature taking as people enter the building
– masks worn in the kitchen
– continued vigilance in adapting to additional guidelines provided by WHO/CDC/etc
Your help is needed now and for the foreseeable future. Please consider making the time to volunteer during the coming weeks.
These are daunting times filled with fear and uncertainty, and Project Angel Food's clients and community need your help now more than ever.
This is a flexible activity that can be completed whenever you have enough free time.
922 Vine Street, Los Angeles, California, 90038