Volunteering with Refugee Action puts you at the heart of our work. There are a range of ways you can help, from making refugees welcome in their new communities to helping us in our offices. With ongoing crises in parts of the world like Syria, your help is needed more than ever.
Volunteers are involved in all our teams and in every service we run. They bring a huge wealth of experience to what we do and come from a broad range of backgrounds, life experiences and ages.
Volunteering with Refugee Action offers excellent opportunities to make new friends while supporting refugees and asylum seekers in the UK. It can also help you to develop your skills and experience.
In a survey of our volunteers, 100% replied that they would recommend volunteering with Refugee Action to other people.
Things for you to consider about this volunteer opportunity:
- Most volunteering opportunities require a (part time) minimum time commitment of six months. If the time is less than six months clearly stated in the volunteer role description
- Some of our roles require a DBS check (formally known as a CRB check), to work with vulnerable people we support. Refugee
Action will help you fill in the application.
- Many volunteering opportunities are available to people who are improving their English, but some roles may require a high level of English or existing IT or digital skills.
- Most (but not all) volunteer opportunities require availability during office hours.
In return, you'll receive from Refugee Action:
- For roles that require working with refugees and asylum seekers, you will receive Comprehensive basic training that may include refugee awareness, working with people from different cultures, confidentiality and boundaries, safeguarding and working with interpreters.
- On-going project training and development
- Regular support and supervision sessions
- Reasonable travel expenses and lunch where appropriate
- Access to our Refugee Action well-being and development resources
If you have other questions about volunteering with Refugee Action, please contact us.
This is a flexible activity that can be completed whenever you have enough free time.
11 Belgrave Road, London, SW1V 1RB, United Kingdom