Countdown to SUMMER CAMP!
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab’s Caring for Kids Program (CFK) hosts an annual summer camp for kids with physical disabilities ages 7-17 and is in need of energetic, enthusiastic, committed and caring volunteers.
The CFK Summer camp offers a range of adaptive sports and hands-on recreational activities, such as:
- Cubs Dream Camp
- Adaptive Sailing
- Hidden Creek Water Park
- Rowing at the Lincoln Park Boat Club
- Therapeutic Horseback Riding
- Wheelchair Softball, Yoga, Laser Tag, and SO MUCH MORE!
Camp runs Monday-Friday each week and volunteers are with participants from 10:00am-2:00pm. Additional time is required each day for before and after camp. These times vary on the program and locations. Volunteers should be able to commit between the hours of 8:30am-3:30pm for each day registered. Hours will change for volunteers each day depending on the activity/location, but will never be longer than 8:30am to 3:30pm.
This community-based program takes place at locations throughout the city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs.
READ ON FOR MORE INFORMATION ON HOW TO VOLUNTEER...
Please follow the steps below in their entirety to become a registered volunteer. (Please note you may have to cut and paste links)
1) Complete and submit the volunteer online application: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1437984491
2) Complete and submit the following CFK volunteer application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd8vi9zw4UxyXlZgCBgby9_5k4kMbdJcmH1rwWB0HI-GaiyWQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
3) Complete the forms located in this linkhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1t6epgB_gS1H1L-OitF-qp5qgKbGoAp2M and return them to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Code of Conduct
- Photo Release
- Liability Release
- Parental Consent (minors only)
- Criminal Background Check (18+ years of age)*
*The Career Builder criminal background check will be submitted once we have submitted the majority of your forms. Volunteers who require the background check will be emailed a link. The Career Building criminal background check link is only valid for 48 hours after it has been sent out. Criminal background checks take 5-10 business days to clear (30 days if it is an international case). Once you clear, our Volunteer Services Department will email you.
4) Attend Caring for Kids Summer Camp Orientation (only required for new volunteers).
This listing is for two sessions of camp. Session I runs July 15-26 and is for kids ages 7-12. Session II runs July 29-August 9 and is for kids ages 13-17. Please note: Volunteers can choose to work with one or both sessions. We are seeking a minimum of 25 volunteers for each day of camp to ensure ample coverage and assistance for all participants. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 5 out of the 10 camp days within Session I or Session II.
Summer Camp volunteer responsibilities include:
- Being actively involved and participate in program activities.
- If you are placed 1:1 with a participant or supervising a small group, you are responsible for those specific youth during the activity.
- Treat all campers, staff, volunteers, bus drivers, participants, equipment, facilities, and outside staff with respect.
- Aiding in pushing wheelchairs and walking alongside youth utilizing walkers.
- Acting as good role models and mentors and offer positive reinforcement.
- Making sure someone knows where you are at all times, bathroom, concessions, etc.
- Volunteers must stay within an arm’s length distance to their assigned participant or group at all times.
- Bringing an encouraging, enthusiastic and positive attitude - after all, camp is all about having a great time!
- Keeping participants engaged and safe
What is Caring for Kids?
Caring for Kids at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago) is a dynamic program for any youth aged 7-17 who has a physical disability. The Caring for Kids program offers year-round adaptive sports, recreation, special events, and social activities. The programs are designed to foster a positive quality of life for participants through promoting physical fitness, independence, socialization, cultural activity, and adaptive programming resources.
For more information about volunteering for the Caring for Kids Summer Camp, contact Ashley Gruenwald at email@example.com or call 312-238-5005.
This opportunity started on July 15, 2019, 9:30 a.m. and ended on Aug. 9, 2019, 4:30 p.m. EDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, 355 E Erie St, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, USA