Womankind works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. We bring critical resources and deep cultural competency to help Asian communities find refuge, recovery, and renewal.
The Later in Life program started in 2012 to address the needs and challenges of older adult (age 50 and above) survivors of gender-based violence. 20% of Womankind’s clients are above the age of 50; the LIL program works to ensure that their needs are represented both internally (through our services and staff) and externally (through our advocacy efforts).
This position will support our outreach efforts to the Chinese (Mandarin-speaking) older adult and South Asian (Bengali or other) older adult population in Queens and will help with facilitating educational and therapeutic workshops and groups. The larger goal of this position is twofold: first, to create awareness around abuse in later life and connect survivors with services; second, to foster an active aging lifestyle among older adults through the workshops and groups.
Supervisor:Miyoung Kim, MS, MA, L-CAT, R-DMT, Expressive Therapies Ph.D. student/ Later in Life Advocate
Location: This position will be based mainly in Queens and will require traveling between the Womankind office and a partnered organization (possibly senior center, adult day care center, etc.)
Key Responsibilities:To plan, conduct/co-facilitate Creative arts and dance/movement therapy 1 or 2 sessions per week at Chinese and South Asian senior center in the Queens area.
Schedule:One day per week 11-12PM and/or 1-2PM, August 2019 (or as soon as possible) through June 2020
- Proficiency in Mandarin, Bengali, or other South Asian language highly preferred.
- Should have a strong interest in working with older adults.
- No prior experience with conducting workshops or facilitating groups required - trainings will be provided.
- An interest in wellness activities/therapy strongly preferred.
Orientation and Training Requirements:
Volunteer will be required to attend a 3- hour Womankind volunteer orientation to get an overview of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking as well as an overview of Womankind’s programs.
Volunteer will receive ongoing supervision and training as needed throughout this position. In the first couple of months, the volunteer will receive these trainings before we execute the workshops and groups:
- Abuse in Later Life Training (which will cover the types of abuse that occur in later life, ageism, and active aging)
- Facilitating groups training
- Dance/movement therapy for older adults training
- Any other Womankind trainings will be made available (and optional) for the volunteer
Individual supervision will be provided on a weekly basis.
Supervisor will guide the volunteer in reaching out to places and building professional relationships. Supervisor will also assist the volunteer in conducting workshops and facilitating wellness groups.
Volunteer will also receive support from the Later in Life Program Manager as needed.
- Professional mentorship
- Supervision credits if volunteer is a LCAT candidate
- Gain experience with conducting workshops and public speaking
- Learn to create and facilitate wellness groups
- Opportunities for growth as volunteer will be equipped with tools to work with gender-based violence survivors
- Opportunities to teach specific skills if volunteer is passionate about certain creative activities (knitting, yoga, craft, dance, cooking, )
Complete the Womankind Volunteer Application (Link: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=989713892) and submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email title "Later in Life Volunteer". Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone interview with the Later in Life Program advocate. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. All candidates are subject to a background check prior to start of volunteer position.
This opportunity starts on Aug. 1, 2019, midnight and ends June 30, 2020, midnight EDT and happens once. All events occur at an action's local time based on the latest information provided to us. The time listed here has been automatically converted to your device's timezone if yours is different.
Various Locations, Queens, New York, 11373, USA